5815 Ugg Classic Tall Grey Boots

Monday, November 26, 2012

I was afforded what continues to be one of my most humbling and thought provoking moments.

So You Think You Don't Have A Disability? by Barry Rice
In no doubt, most of you have experienced moments in life that gave you pause to reflect on your past, present and future. I'd like to share one of my personal moments with you,
Years ago,2. Be Alive to Everything You Do, while serving as a counselor at a Crippled Children's summer camp, I was afforded what continues to be one of my most humbling and thought provoking moments.
Mike M., although no longer a child,5815 Ugg Classic Tall Grey Boots, (at the time he was 21), was born in such a deformed manner that his body was basically in the same form as he was while still in his mother's womb. At birth, Mike was placed into a home for the incurable.
This very special human being was unable to care for himself in any manner and was relegated to being strapped into a specially built wheelchair, forced to rely on counselors for literally everything. Although each counselor was normally assigned 2 3 campers per session, Mike was my only charge that particular session.
Here was a young man who had no chance for any change in his physical disability. He did, however, have a zest for life that we could all strive to emulate,A Way With Words. His love of life and positive attitude has remained with, and guided me, since.
Mike had a remarkable, sharp mind, was well- read and articulate in speech. Although devoid of what most of us consider to be normal physical abilities, he continually exhibited a positive, can do attitude and a ready smile. He also had a special talent which brought laughter and glee to all the rest of the campers and staff as well.
A pea shooter! Mike would ask that I drop 2 3 peas in his mouth and place his monogrammed, yes,internalized and turns into a belief., monogrammed pea shooter between his lips. He took great delight in such things as waiting until a staff member would lift a fork or spoon of food and then shoot the food from the utensil, spraying other nearby counselors and campers. Mike's accuracy was phenomenal to say the least. The best way to describe it is that he could shoot a bead of sweat off of a flea's tush' from 50 feet.
One morning while preparing Mike for breakfast, he asked me a question that has continued to give me grateful for my blessings throughout my life.. He asked, "Barry, people can see my disability. What's yours?" My response was something like, "Mike, I don't have any disabilities."
As years passed, I began to realize what Mike had really been asking and telling me. Did I have hidden disabilities that limited the positive fulfillment of my life? Was I being stopped by hidden disabilities while Mike's obvious disability did nothing to hold him back from enjoying his life to the best of his ability?
Could my disability be lack of a positive attitude, envy or jealousy, or the failure to look for the good in others? Could it be an unwillingness to give of myself, a failure to utilize my talents in pursuit of my own definition of success, inability to laugh at myself, or to learn from my mistakes and failures? Was I waiting for circumstances beyond my control to dictate my life? Was I merely waiting for that pot of gold' to find me instead of working for it myself? Did I have disabilities that could be more detrimental to my acceptance of my individual sunrises of opportunity?
Mike taught me, with one simple question, that I can approach life with a "going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with me" attitude.
Life is a smorgasbord of opportunity. Mike taught me that visible disabilities should be viewed as exactly as they are manageable inconveniences. The only permanent disabilities lie in the failure to love and live life to the fullest within the limits of circumstances beyond our control. Smiling, laughing at and loving life is what it's all about.
Any of us, at any time, any age, any physical situation and under any circumstances can commit to looking for and taking advantage of the countless, daily sunrises of opportunity granted to us by The Boss. To do less should be unthinkable and you should consider it unacceptable.
Thank you Mike wherever you are.
Folks, you can see my disability WHAT'S YOURS?

No comments:

Post a Comment